News, links, analysis and comments on Melbourne's Underworld

Friday, March 26, 2004

More Notices For Benji

The blue light was my blues and the red one
...was my mind.
Roberta Williams and friends, Daughter Dhakota... NO CARL...?
VENIAMIN. _ Andrew. 16.11.1975_23.3.2004
My mind is numb, but my memory is clear of all the times we shared. I will miss everything about our friendship, especially my daily phone calls "Hello my friend". The promises I made to you my friend as you made to me if the tables were ever turned, I promise you my precious little friend. Our love and our friendship was something very rare, I loved you and always will. You once told me we were no different than a brother and a sister and that it doesnt have to be blood that joins you as family because we were that. My friend Andrew, you will always be in my heart and memory, because the times we shared would never be forgotten. My heart is broken, you will never be replaced. Fly high in the sky my precious angel. I love you always and forever. Condolences to the family. _ Roberta Williams.

Uncle Andrew, I will miss our holidays in Yarrawonga, but more than anything I will miss you. I love you, I will never forget you. My Mummy and Daddy will keep your memory alive. Always _ Your precious
little Dhakota Williams.

"My Mummy and Daddy will keep your memory alive.." What does that mean eh? Care to specualte?

And finally, a menacing, fake-ish notice turns up. Let's deconstruct this one- It warrants it:
VENIAMIN. _ Benji. What can I say. You made me welcome and showed me kindness, friendship and good times and I am forever grateful.

So Benji introduced you to Carl et al eh?
There is only one place for men in suits. All shall be done for you. Goodbye buddy.
Save me a seat. _ Kaiser Sozef.
Deepest condolences to all your family. Rest in peace

What men in suits? Not the guys who turned out to see Mick Gatto's Magi's hearing yesterday not them, surely?



Who is Keyser Soze?

He is a fictional character, from the movie "The Usual Suspects". The character you are about to hear from is Verbal Kent. He describes the "myth" of Soze. See the movie for more!
SCENE: In a police station, VERBAL is being questioned about who the mysterious character "Keyser Soze" is...
VERBAL: He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. One story the guys told me - the story I believe - was from his days in Turkey. There was a petty gang of Hungarians that wanted their own mob. They realized that to be in power you didn't need guns or money or even numbers. You just needed the will to do what the other guy wouldn't. After a while they come to power, and then they come after Soze He was small time then, just running dope, they say...


SCENE:Three of the Hungarians come bursting into Keyser Soze's home. They grab his five children and round them up in the front room. One of the men grabs his wife and back-hands her across the face.
VERBAL: They come to his home in the afternoon looking for his business. They find his wife and kids in the house and decide to wait for Soze.

He comes home to his wife raped and his children screaming. The Hungarians knew he was tough. Not to be trifled with. So they let him know they meant business.

SCENE: They kill his child in front of him.
The REAL Keyser Soze
The Real Keyser: Kevin Spacey plays the mysterious Verbal Kent and...?

VERBAL: They tell Soze they want his territory - all his business. Soze looks over the faces of his family... Then he showed these men of will what will really was.

SCENE: SUDDENLY, Soze pulls out a pistol and shoots the two men with guns. He turns and aims at the third man holding his child. The man threatens to cut the child's throat, slicing just enough to draw blood.

SOZE FIRES.

The stunned Hungarian watches the child fall from his arms.

Soze turns the pistol on the next child, then the next and the next. He kills his children one by one in front of the Hungarian.
VERBAL: He tells him he would rather' see his family dead than live another day after this.


SCENE: SOZE walks over to his wife, crying and beaten on the floor and holds up her head. She gives him the strangest look. One of trust perhaps, saturated with fear and humiliation.

He puts the gun between her eyes and fires.
VERBAL: He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends.

He burns down the houses they live in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you. And nobody really ever believes.

AGENT KUJAN: Do you believe in him, Verbal?

VERBAL: Keaton always said: "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser SOZE.


Whlie we here at MU understand and LOVE the movie, we are not so certain of the implications of the message. Are we going to see killings of the magnitude that Keyser's revenge required? Is this "Keyser" really Carl Williams? If this is Carl is he in effect saying that he is prepared to sacrifice his family? Is he really going to show "these men of will what will really" is? MU concedes this may be the extreme end of the "Soze" story, but God help us all if he ain't kidding.

What is next here?

Full script- The Usual Suspects
The Usual Suspects- IMDB profile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't screw this up.